After some thinking...

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I think I may have figured out what I'd like part of my life's work to be about. Something that has been nagging at me constantly since I was in my Human Sexuality class in the Fall of 2007, and we studied the media's effect on women and men (and after a girl in the hot tub last night was playing with her chest and announced "sorry, they're new!"), has been the low self-esteem or the twisted image of women, and men. I am pretty sure if I have the option, I'd like to spend the rest of my life teaching people how to love the way they were created. God made us all differently. I think it's time we all were ok with that! Yes it's good to want to be fit, that is smart and a healthy choice, but to be so wrapped up in making sure we look "right" or perfect is just ridiculous.

First things first, in my class we studied a lot of ads, movies, shows, and watched commercials and other things that are readily available in the media. It's funny how we have no idea how it's infiltrating our society as a whole with stupid ideas. One of the ads that struck me the worst was an ad that had the picture of a pretty woman in her 30's, and she was saying, "My husband said he loves me for my mind.... I'll show him!" And then there was contact info for a plastic surgeon printed below her.
WOW.
I'm in shock. What a positively disgusting and stupid message.

I can't even believe the soaring numbers of people getting cosmetic surgery simply because they can! Don't get me wrong, I've been to a plastic surgeon to make sure I didn't scar badly from a surgery, they are awesome doctors and I'm grateful for what he did. Also if a woman has breast cancer, and would like to not feel so deformed after surgery it's highly understandable, I'd get them too if I went through that trama. BUT there are girls who are getting fake boobs as high school graduation gifts, birthday presents, etc... it really confuses me. We want our daughters to see themselves as amazing women, yet some of us parents are saying "yep, you're not perfect, here's some fake boobs." We also want men to respect women and not stare at their chests, or see them as pieces of meat, as just "hot" with nothing else to offer, but when you upsize your rack "for you" (yeah right, it's TOTALLY just for you... no really, I believe you...), you've already sold yourself short, because you think THAT is what will make you a better person, and you show these guys that THAT is how you feel about yourself. Guys will follow your lead, if you think you're awesome the way you are, most likely they'll not really notice that you're body isn't perfect.

If being top heavy is what makes a girl amazing, then I guess I'm screwed. But then again, I don't really believe in all that talk. I'm pretty darn amazing and I'm not off balance either! haha. (Sorry bad joke!) Every other girl without a rack is pretty dang awesome too! I just wish they knew they were loved and were awesome without having to put a couple saline or silicone bags inside their chest.

Anyway, yeah this is something that really aggravates me so I had to share. I hope you enjoyed it! :o)

4 comments

  1. Amen girl! I'm glad you shared that on your blog, because this negative self image that so many women have today is a huge problem. I am teaching a media literacy unit to my students right now, and when I informed them that 100% of models in magazines have been digitally "touched up" to appear just perfect, they were all shocked; especially the girls in the class. They have this image that they think they have to live up to in order to feel acceptance from others. Sad. I just hope I can somehow teach the girls that their self worth means a lot more than the size of their chests, or the narrowness of their waists. I think it's such a noble goal for you to want to help girls realize that. Thanks for that insight Lana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boobs are overrated. Fake boobs are expensive and require maintenance. That kind of money would be better spent on a personal trainer or yoga membership. Then the girl is healthier, feels better about herself, becomes more calm, focused, and relaxed (in the case of yoga, at least), AND gets a better physique. Talk about value.

    I personally don't know any guys who have boob size as a deal-breaker. I'm confident in saying very few exist. The chest-size obsession is, as you said, just a lie perpetuated by the media and those who can make money through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE SMALL BOOBS EVERYONE!!!!!! and My husband loves em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fake boobs go with fake hair and fake tans... that usually adds up with a fake person. Who wants someone who doesn't even know who they are or whats real about them?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.