Sing-Off Baby!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What do you do when your boyfriend is gone for 9 months and has a very short time left before he comes home?

YOU PASS THE TIME AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN.

So, this fall I found out about a show called The Sing-Off. It's an acapella competition, and it is way better than American Idol (boooring, yuck.) Also it is judged by Sara Bareilles who is phenomenal (obviously) and used to be in an acapella group at UCLA, Ben Fold's who is awesome at all things music, and one of the BOYS II MEN guys... YESSSS! Also, these judges are so much better than the annoying American Idol judges. If you watch you'll see what I mean.

This is the 3rd season, and I'm sad I missed the previous two. A couple of the groups this season are my favorite. There's one called Afro-Blue, and they are fantastic at their jazzy style. They took Estelle's "American Boy" from a fun hip hop song to a fun jazzy tune.

Here's the original:
Click here, Youtube wouldn't let me embed this one.

Here's their version... isn't it AWESOME?!


Also my other favorite group is BYU's Vocal Point (woo hoo! Shout out to our local boys!!!!). They have done a classy polished job every week and I have to say I wish I'd seen them around here more. Perhaps I should give them more support? This was their 60's song remake. I didn't love their first song mostly because it was Justin Beiber and like Ben Fold's said, "I never thought I'd want to hear a bunch of Mormon guys sing 'Never Say Never'"(he was complimenting them but I didn't like the Beebs song)... kind of cheesy. Their 2nd song was super classy,  and let's be honest, who doesn't love a Sinatra song sung by classy guys in suits and fedoras?



I should be getting paid for selling their show to people. *cough* give me some money *cough*. But seriously guys, it's fun to watch people make music without instruments (and without the drama of MTV reality shows).  I love this show. It makes me wish I had the guts to do what they do, and sing my butt off!

Go watch it NOW... it's on Hulu. :)

1 comment

  1. I'm so happy you love the show:) I have a Vocal Point CD you can borrow sometime if you want. Also, check on this song---I can never get enough of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9UsDl5gSuo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.