You know what makes me laugh? Provo. Here's why.
A few weeks ago I was told that it's unbelievable that I can be cool, smart, pretty, nice, blahblah and not have ever been married. It makes me laugh. It was meant as a compliment which is exactly how I took it. I just have to laugh though everytime I think about that. I know it's mostly because of the Mormon culture here in Provo. Don't get me wrong, I love my church and it's teachings, but everybody knows that everyone gets married at, or just after, age 18 out here. What's wrong with being 24 & single? I say NOTHING! I'm proud to not be a divorcee, or a girl that's resigned herself to spinster-ism at 24. I'll get on each of those topics in a second. Recently I was told a few people were trying to figure out what's wrong with me because I'm single and 24. IT'S JUST SO FUNNY! The answer my sweet curious people is NOTHING!
I'm smart, I'm funny, I take care of my appearance, I take care of myself, and I have goals for the future. I'm not just sitting here waiting for a man to make a woman out of me by putting a ring on my finger. I'm making a woman out of myself. I'm sure one day I'll fall in love and get married... but I'm not sitting here postponing life so that can happen.
Here's the two types of of single girls that dominate the 24+ population out here, and make us awesome 24 year old singles look bad.
The divorcee - there's nothing wrong with you. You had a bad first marriage, most likely it's attributed to young kids trying to make adult decisions before they realize what kind of an adult they want to be. That's just my generalization, you can disagree all you want, but I'm just calling it like I see it. The only difference is, these people carry a lot of baggage, and since most people are married by early 20's out here, I've had quite a few people recently ask if I was divorced. Nope! I'm not, I just never settled for what was there, when I knew I deserved better.
The 24 year old spinster - for those of you who don't know this word. Here you go:
spin·ster /ˈspɪnstər/–noun
1. a woman still unmarried beyond the usual age of marrying.
2. Chiefly Law. a woman who has never married.
3. a woman whose occupation is spinning.
I know we know who these girls are. I just am so curious why they have let themselves go at so young an age? There are PLENTY of possible relationships to be had while you're alive. Some people meet a new person at 70. It's just so sad these girls resign themselves to solitude at 24! Put away your mom jeans, and go shopping for good looking clothes. You'll get a date tomorrow. Promise. Besides, what's wrong with being alone? It's better than being stuck in a crappy marriage any day! Go out and do something awesome. Buy real estate, buy a company, get a higher degree, buy a puppy, do something besides sit there and be upset at men for not wanting you. Trust me, we're all going to find someone some day, but it doesn't have to be the be-all end-all of our lives!
One final thought - why is it that when I go home to Parowan, someone always asks if I'm married and when I say no I'm single they look at me depressed and use a tone of sympathy to say "it's ok, you'll find someone eventually." As if I'm worried. It's so funny! It makes me want to practice the art of rolling my eyes. Next time I just want to say "Yeah, my wife is great we just got married in California!", and see the shock and horror in their small town eyes. HAHA just kidding... sort of.
Anyway, have a great day, and thanks for reading my random thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

More power to you homeslice. I'm so glad that you are normal. There is such a shortage of normals round these parts... I mean, I'm sinning just by growing out my beard, let alone for being single. And guess what?! I'm not shaving it till I dang well want to.
ReplyDeleteOH SNAP!
I'm looking forward to being old enough so that people no longer ask me why I'm not married, but rather why I'm not divorced.
ReplyDeleteAMEN! well put Lana! I totally agree w/ you 110%!! Yet another reason why I get so irratated with 'Utah people' if you know what I mean. Not to generalize 'Utah people' but its the people who are ignorant and dont understand LIFE!!! Marriage isnt everything and its definitely important to find out who you are and what you want before you make that plunge. Maybe if people figured that out instead of marrying their 1st bf/gf at age 17 or 18 the horrible divorce rates might change....
ReplyDeleteanother reason why i loved going home to Seattle for the summers - no one ever asked me!!!!!
Haha this was awesome Lana! I have always thought you were such an awesome person, and you definitely are making a woman out of yourself... a very fine one at that :)
ReplyDeleteDon't worry Lana, you'll find someone soon. Then you can stop hiding your empty feelings behind these blog posts. 24 and not married? What IS wrong with you?
ReplyDeleteIn Vegas people thought I was insane because I was married with a baby @ 22. It's so different everywhere. People think 24 is so young everywhere else. So live it up and shun the naysayers! P.S. the John Mayer concert looked so fun. I'm jealous.
ReplyDeleteWell you go girl! I think that its great who you have become by being single. And your almost done with school and all, I mean how many people can say that. Your awesome and any guys is going to be lucky to have you!
ReplyDeleteYa Lana, I don't think I could really enjoy living in Utah county. Utah county is way more extreme than even just Utah. Anyway, Lana don't even worry about Parowan...they're great people who are just kind of closed minded. I luv ya and think you've always been such a strong person. Thanks for your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteYou tell'um girl! We are having a blast with our lil' guy. I am headed in for a visit in October lets try and get together.
ReplyDelete