He was a Hitler Youth in Germany when he was a teenager and quickly realized the beautiful life Hitler had promised the German people when he took over the country was nothing he had actually intended for those people to have. He details the experiences he had during world war 2, his conversion to the LDS church, (which I assure you is quite a powerful story), and much of his life (which is also incredible).
He gave this talk at a BYU devotional in May of 1996. I am including the video because I can't do it justice, but the message is very clear and motivating.
My favorite lines from this video are these:
* Embrace this day with an enthusiastic welcome, no matter how it looks. The covenant with God to which you are true enables you to become enlightened by him, and nothing is impossible for you.
* God knows better than you what you need. He always attempts to speak to you. Listen, and follow the uncomfortable suggestions that he makes to us--everything will fall into its place.* In your life there have to be challenges. They will either bring you closer to God and therefore make you stronger, or they can destroy you. But you make the decision of which road you take.
* When you cannot love someone, look into that person's eyes long enough to find the hidden rudiments of the child of God in him.* Avoid at all cost any pessimistic, negative, or criticizing thoughts. If you cannot cut them out, they will do you harm* The pain of sacrifice lasts only one moment. It is the fear of the pain of sacrifice that makes you hesitate to do it.
* And finally, when you are compelled to give up something or when things that are dear to you are withdrawn from you, know that this is your lesson to be learned right now. But know also that, as you are learning this lesson, God wants to give you something better.
These are some powerful thoughts to which I have so much I want to add, but nothing seems to need to be said. Elder Busche is definitely led by the spirit and power of God. These thoughts are so simple yet completely necessary for us as imperfect people to listen to.
He was a man destined for greatness. It seems so from the very beginning in his childhood. The book gave me so much positive advice that I think about often. I can't wait to finish his book. There are so many stories in there that I want to share with the people in my world. I might put them on here once I get it back. Just you wait!
Seriously though, read that book if you get a chance.

Thanks for sharing Lana! You are such an amazing lady.
ReplyDeleteLoved this video. Thank you!
ReplyDelete