Dystopia... whatever happened to Fruitopia?

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

So I was at the bookstore the other day looking for something new to read. I had a book in mind and while I was looking for it on the shelves, I spotted a book that was out of place. Around the corner was a whole stack of them, but this one was set off by itself. Maybe someone had just set it down after deciding not to buy it, or maybe it was put there on purpose. It had a fun title. BRAVE NEW WORLD.  It made me want to see what it was about and maybe the story would suck me in. It's rare that a book can do that for me lately though,  but it was a lazy day off work, and I had nothing to lose. I opened it looking for a brief summary of the storyline, and found this:

It's a handwritten post-it. Intriguing note, right?
Naturally, the curiosity in me was fueled. I had to buy this book. So far I'm half way into it, and I really like it. The writer, Aldous Huxley, was definitely ahead of his time. His concepts are so futuristic for what was going on at the time he wrote it. The book was copyrighted in 1932. I don't even think anyone had invented some of the ideas of technology that he describes as being even more advanced in this story.

Here's the rundown... it's set in the future after people have figured out how to mass produce humans and control for certain characteristics, therefore forming a caste system, and fueling consumption/consumerism. Also the morals of the culture are completely opposite the moral code of our culture... or what it was at the time he wrote the book, lately though it's probably not too far off. :)

I highly recommend reading this so far. I'm excited to keep reading deeper into the story!

Side note: every time I see the title of the book I crave something adventurous. Maybe I need to set off on a BRAVE NEW ADVENTURE!? I'll keep you posted if I do...

2 comments

  1. That note is VERY intriguing... Is it a post-it? Do all the books have it? It sounds like a good read..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that the dystopian genre is one of my favorites? When you're finished with Brave New World I have about a dozen similar books you could borrow. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.