Perfect example: Our neighbors moved in shortly after we did, and both seem to be about Justin's and my age with one little boy. One day I was out getting the mail, and she was on the lawn with him playing. I went up and introduced myself, and said, "You must be our new neighbor. Hi, I'm Lana, I live right next door to you." She acted as if I was a kidnapper, or a leper. Her exact reaction was this, "Ok, hi. Come on buddy let's go inside." She then picked her kid up and walked inside. Justin introduced himself to her husband at one time and he basically just acted like Justin wasn't talking.
Another time I introduced myself to a girl in one of the meetings and talking to her was like pulling teeth even though we had common ground. Her father in law, used to be a church authority in a singles ward of mine in college, and had been to our ward that day. I asked her simple things like, "How long have you lived in this area? How's having him for a father in law?" Simple get to know you questions that usually open people up for any type of friendship. All I got were "a little bit" and "good" for answers. Finally I could tell talking to her would be just impossible. Situations like this have happened quite a few other times in this ward or with our neighbors, with the exception of one couple that seem like normal, nice humans. I really like those normal, nice humans. Why can't there be more of them around here?
I find it hard to believe that people in general just don't want any friends... but right here where I live right now, there is a huge cluster of people that don't want any friends.
![]() | |||
| The last time we were all photographed together. It was over a year ago. Sad. |
They are so welcoming to everyone and always have a "more the merrier" attitude. I have been spoiled with these girls. It's hard for me to accept that these people in my area now don't want to have friends. It's really strange and baffles me. I'm not that type of person. I always think the more friends, the merrier! I can't wait until we move out of this ward.
Have you guys ever experienced this or am I really just a leper!?


It's kind of a Utah county thing. A lot of people are either newly weds and really stuck on themselves, or they have a lot of family close by and/or grew up in Utah so already have lots of friends/family in the area and feel they don't have time for any new friends. It's weird.
ReplyDelete