Countdown to obliteration...

Monday, December 15, 2008

I recently discovered an article about a man from my home town in the LA Times. He is nicknamed The Parowan Prophet. Click HERE to read the article. I never have met him, at least not to my knowledge. I could have easily run across him growing up in Parowan. There are roughly 3,000 people living there so I'm sure it happened once or twice. I am still not sure if the house some of us speculated was his, was really in fact his house. I remember riding bikes past one house and one of my friends or siblings said, "I think that's where the Parowan Prophet lives", and then we'd pedal faster to get out of there.

I wasn't willing to stick around and see if he'd predict the end of MY life! haha. I love how kids make everything bigger and scarier. I remember being scared of looking out dark windows, so when I had to go to bed at night I'd have to walk down our back stairs and there were 3 windows I had to walk past down the stairway. I'd crawl down the stairs just to avoid seeing anything (or anything seeing me!) through the dark windows. I also used to jump in my bed from 1 or 2 feet away and jump out, in case something was under my bed. I didn't want it to grab my ankles. Then it would probably pull me down under the bed into some monster underworld like in Little Monsters. Ok, so I based most of my childhood fears on movies, I call it an imagination!

Anyway, There was a VW van in front of the man's house, and I think it made sense to me, because in most movies, weird hippies drove those. Also I connected it with the Libyans in Back to the Future. Vans, weird people with guns, it all makes sense now why I believed that was his house right? I still am not sure if it really is, and maybe I'll find out over Christmas if I remember, but for now I think you should read this article. It's quite interesting to see just what kind of things this man believes. While I don't think anything he says has any merit, it's still interesting how he truly believes these things will happen, and then when they don't he says "Prophesying isn't an exact science." Good cover. Oh well, I love small towns and their kooky characters. And Parowan is FULL of them! Just come to my family ward, or any other, some of those people that grew up there and are now approaching a century birthday are quite the characters.
The Parowan Prophet's Christmas countdown to obliteration... 10 days. :o)

1 comment

  1. I still get into be quickly and I don't like to let my feet hang over... also had a fear of hurting my stuffed animals feelings! Love you woman...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.