Who Baked Alaska?

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I know this probably won't make any sense to any of you who don't hang out with me on a regular basis, but sometimes I say things after a long chain of thought that no one understands because I naturally assume they could hear the rapid fire succession of thoughts that just occurred in my brain in around .2 seconds.

Here is an example of what these chains of thought look like. I'll see a book on a table and think "That book is called "Drugs and Modern Behavior" --> I have that class --> some people have no class -->I wear a backpack to class --> backpack! (as in Dora the Explorer - a show I watched randomly when my little brothers were small) --> Dora is from Mexico --> Mexico isn't in the U.S. -->Alaska is in the U.S. --> Baked Alaska!

This actually didn't happen in that exact order but somehow over the past few days I keep thinking of Baked Alaska. I didn't even know what it is, but somehow the words popped into my head and wouldn't leave. I have no idea where I heard this phrase either. I said the phrase to some friends of mine who I'm sure are used to my randomness because they didn't even flinch when such a weird phrase came out of my mouth the other night.

So I'm going to let you all know that I now know what Baked Alaska is. However I had to think for a while. I assumed it was food, but let's get creative. It could be a section of Alaska where most people are high on a regular basis, or... ok that's really the only random thought that I came up with about what it could be.

Here's the wikipedia definition. Honestly, I know you've all been dying to know what it is, and I am so glad to get this out of my brain. I've been wondering what Baked Alaska was for about 7 days now. So here you go, and I'm finally at peace.

Baked Alaska (also known as glace au four, omelette à la norvégienne, Norwegian omelette and omelette surprise) is a dessert made of ice cream placed in a pie dish lined with slices of sponge cake or Christmas pudding and topped with meringue. The entire dessert is then placed in an extremely hot oven for just long enough to firm the meringue. The meringue is an effective insulator, and the short cooking time prevents the heat from getting through to the ice cream.
I have no idea why this was necessary, I only know that now I am not saying Baked Alaska to myself in the car and while I am cleaning my shower. I did that about 5 minutes ago and it was enough to urge me to google it, and then write a blog about it. So there you have it! Now you understand just how random I can be.

Now... who wants to come over this weekend and we can attempt to bake ice cream?

3 comments

  1. I love you, your a freak, but I really love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Lana I do know you very well and that is very odd! your so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Lana - that sounds a lot like you because you do think of funny things like that but it makes for interesting conversation! I expect Baked Alaska at our next family party! Yum! (actually I don't know if it is good or not cause I haven't ever had it). LOVE YA!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.