BYU Hunger Fair

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Last night I went to the BYU Hunger Fair. It was really interesting. When I got asked if I wanted to go, I was actually really excited. I'd heard about this kind of event before and really wanted to see what it was like. When we got there we were told our group would be sitting in the low income section. This section was most of the room and was covered with cut up cardboard boxes, you know, for comfort since we had to sit on the gym floor.

The room was divided into 3 sections, there were the "rich" people, the middle income, and the low income. The rich people were sitting at nicely decorated tables, and were in the front of the room. The middle income were sitting on chairs around the edges of the room, and the low income were all stacked throughout the middle of the room. We took up probably 60% of the space.

The rich people were served first, and given a full course meal. The middle income people were served hot dogs, and got to eat second. The low income people were served last, and given one bowl of rice and beans, and a plate of chips to share. We were lucky and got a second bowl of rice and another plate of chips, but the 4 of us had to share it all. And we decided to vote one member of our group who will remain nameless (*cough*, Eric!, *cough*) out of the village for hogging the bowl! haha!

Our group was also representing the illiterate people of the world, and how most people will never get a chance for any education. They talked about how the rich people usually just worry about how many years of education AFTER high school their kids will go to, and how these people are also the ones with diabetes, obesity, and other problems other countries don't face because they can barely make enough food for everyone.

It was really cool event, and also a realistic representation of how the world is divided. We even started to joke about stealing the rich people's purses or distracting them while we stole food off their plates. Also throughout the night some "tourists" came around and started taking pictures with the "poor people sitting in filth". It made me think about how people must feel when we fly ourselves to other countries and take pictures with people who probably have never been able to afford a camera much less some shoes, in their entire lives. And the whole time never thinking what we could do to help them.

Halfway through the program I got up to go to the bathroom and at first was like "my legs hurt so bad from sitting on the floor, I can barely walk" and then I berated myself for complaining because A) I was walking through a building with heating, to a bathroom with a flushing toilet, B) I wasn't going to have to wipe my butt with my hand, and even if I had to, there was handsoap, hot water, and clean towels to clean my hands with, and C) I only had to sit on the floor for what, 2 hours?, while some people never get to sit on a chair or use a bed ever, and the floor is covered in garbage and other filth, and our cardboard was clean and no one smelled.

I really liked the whole event, the Hare Krishna group came and performed a song, and there was a mongolian dance, and then a cute group of kids who escaped from the Congo to the U.S., sang a song and danced. I just wanted to run up and kiss each of these kids, and tell them how amazing I think they are for living through what they have and ask each of them how they stay so happy.

My biggest challenges don't seem so big when I think of what other people on the other side of the world are living through. I've got bronchitis and I'm complaining about how sick I am of coughing and how the antibiotics make me nauseated, but then I think, I am able to go to a doctor and get medicine to kill the disease, instead of letting it turn into pneumonia and then dying. Sure my family has had it's hardships, my mom was poor and a single mom, but she still was in the top small percentage of those who have everything they need. And that only lasted for a few years. We've always had a roof over our heads, and plenty of food to eat. I've always had clothes that were nice, and I even was able to buy my own car in high school.

I think about how last year, at my job I earned more than my mom told me she earned when she was raising three kids alone, and how I complained that I didn't have enough money. I was able to save up a lot of money to live on this semester, and also I had everything I needed, I even had surplus... so what am I complaining about? That I can't just fly off to Rome tomorrow because I don't have 2 grand to drop? Or that I can't buy myself the piano I want? Sheesh! I really am spoiled! I have a closet full of clothes I never wear, over 15 pairs of shoes, and at least that many jeans... and I ate 8 dollar meals every day for lunch. I really have a lot to be grateful for.

I think I'll stop here, I could go on for pages.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.