![]() |
| Aren't we cute? |
So I've been married to my husband for over a year now. By the time you read this it will be a few days past our actual anniversary. We are celebrating our anniversary later, where we'll be off on an adventure, so the day of our anniversary is just relaxing.
I am cooking ribs (for the first time ever!), corn on the cob, and some homemade french fries... the kind with potato skins on them. I'm super excited. I seem to always follow recipes quite well so this should be a breeze.
I would've posted this the day of our anniversary, but I already had the house pictures post up, and that took sooooo long to do, that I put this off until later. You see, my life gets busy so if I don't write a bunch of blog posts at one time, I may not get much of them done during the week. I'm one of those pre-blogger bloggers. Thank heavens for being able to schedule posts!
So here is a short list of what I've learned in our short year together:
1. A perfect day can go south because of a bad facial expression, or an accidental irritable tone of voice...because marriage is FUN & EASY ALL THE TIME!
2. We both know how to instantly forgive and forget to protect our sanity. You have to remember to do both parts, people. You can't just forgive and keep remembering. Marriage isn't about finding someone who will never hurt you ever. It's about forgiving them when they DO hurt you. We've both done things intentionally and unintentionally that caused the other a little pain. Just let it go, that's the only way to survive. We're all human.
3. Our cat is our child.
4. People ALWAYS want to know why we don't have kids or aren't making one yet. In fact, the pressure started when we were engaged. People told us if we didn't ask God when we should have them that we were not being good Mormon people. First off... never mind, I can't say it out loud on the internet. My answer is, it's none of your business, folks. When you see my Facebook feed fill up with pregnancy photos, then you'll be able to answer the question you should be keeping to yourself anyway. Besides, if you must ask, the question shouldn't be WHEN it should be 'Are you guys thinking about having children?' Then we'll answer, "yes". And then you can keep the WHEN to yourself, because again, it's none of your business. [End Rant]
5. Never compare your relationship to another. The same two people that are in yours, are not in theirs. It's a whole different ballgame. Your marriage may be football, theirs may be chinese checkers. Different game, different rules.
6. Everyone starts the marriage off with the 3 month food/tv/cuddle fest binge. Then you realize, "Holy crap we are the laziest piles of garbage ever, let's start planning dates! Wait... I'm tired, movie night on the couch again?"
7. Buying a house together was a freakin' blast, and a freakin' challenge. Our peaks of excitement matched our valleys of fights.
8. Suddenly I'm willing to not control as much so that my husband is happier.
9. I need to learn to put my shoes away. Seriously. What IS my problem?
10. A clean house keeps both of us happier and more productive. He taught me that.
11. At the end of our first year, we're still in love, and definitely don't want to murder each other. I'd chalk it up to a majorly successful year! Wouldn't you?


Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.