![]() |
| Christmas Eve candlelight dinner. A tradition started by my mom when I was a kid. |
This is possibly the year that was coming down the road, that I needed to be prepared for when I fell apart in 2009. I needed to fall apart, to be able to put myself back together properly so that I would be able to face the hardships that were coming. I had put myself together all wrong in the past. I was holding on by a thread at all times, I was a human in survival mode, and am now in battle mode. You can't fight battles if you're barely surviving. 2009 and 2010 brought a LOT of change. 2011 was a small test to see if that change had become fast within me. 2012 was a season of simple faith and gave me strength to be able to manage 2013.
So what has 2013 been?
It was full of a unification of my family that had never before happened. See my holiday posts here and here. But it was also full of trials. BIG ONES.
To explain, I'll liken it to a religious parable -- the parable of the bush that gets pruned. The bush cries in pain as its branches are cut and it asks the gardener, "Why would you hurt me so? I was doing what I am supposed to do. I was growing and spreading my branches and leaves." But the gardener keeps on cutting, until the bush feels it has nothing left of what it was, only to find that the following growing season it turns into a more beautiful version of itself that it never knew was possible.
2013 was the year of the gardener pruning my branches.
Here are the strongest feelings I've had this year in no particular order:
being lost, fear, anger, confusion, depression, anxiety, contempt, disengagement, insecurity, lack of value, lack of control, education, faith, hope, love.
I've been angry at God more times than I can count this year. I know that it's ok for me to be that way. God wants us to take our feelings to him because he's our parent and is there for us at all times. At least that's what I believe my God is. If I can't talk to Him about everything, and anything, including my anger for what he's allowed to happen this year, then I can't rely on him at all.
There was the time that I sat in my car and yelled at Him for His plan, because the plan hurt me in a way I didn't ever see coming, and I did NOT like it. There was the time I told Him I wasn't going to talk to Him for a while because I was too upset to put my feelings into words. You see, I have a relationship with God as if he is a tangible being. I rarely talk about this in my church or with people, because I feel that most lack understanding of my relationship with God, and my relationship with Him is my business, and mine alone. We all need to find our relationship with God, I am thankful to have the one I do.
I welcome the year 2014, not with a hope for it to be smooth sailing (because what I have on my list of events in 2014 is anything but that), but with hope that because I have had my branches so pruned this year, and had my understanding of faith so deeply altered for the better, I know I can handle it even if I come out with scars I wasn't expecting. Because 2014 is going to be a battle, there will be battle scars.
Although, inside my heart, I keep a prayer that this next year will surprise me and be smooth sailing. I will have to wait and see, though. Time has a way of revealing all things to us.
So, with all this being said, may we all be able to look forward to 2014 with excitement, with hope and... let's do this!
Happy New Year everyone!


Well said my friend. I needed to hear this! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you write! :) You have such passion and drive. Keep on keeping on!
ReplyDeleteBreelagh
P.S. I have a blog too, if you'd like to check it out :) --> http://breelagh.com/category/blog/
Thank you and thank you for stopping by my blog!! I will definitely stop by your page sometime. I'm always down for something new to read!
DeleteYou're welcome! :) I found it on a Facebook ad I think. haha. Awesome stuff! :) I also take pictures, so I will have to look into the websites you use to sell them and use them for mugs, pillows, etc.... Thank you! :) I as well!
Delete