Guts

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

It was so windy in this picture that it looks like I'm in a 1970's jumpsuit instead of
my wedding dress.  I SO VERY MUCH LOVE BAD PHOTOS OF US!
(this photo has nothing to do with this post, by the way)

Justin and I were getting ready to go see my mom and family last weekend. All day he had a strange feeling that we shouldn't go, but I talked him into it because we haven't seen her for two months, and we really need to. After work, we rushed home to pack our overnight bags and head out before dark. 

We lasted about 40 minutes on the freeway, and were somewhere near Mona, Utah when he started to feel really awful inside. He asked me if I'd be angry if he turned the car around and told me about his awful feeling. I felt fine about going, but I knew we needed to listen to a gut feeling as strong as his.  We pulled off the freeway and just sat in the car in the dark for about five minutes while we tried to make sense of his feeling. He said he felt very strongly that we were supposed to go home instead of make the three hour drive to my mom's house. I told him I was ok with that if he was feeling as terrible as he said he did. Gut feelings don't come around that often or that strongly to ignore them.

We turned around and went home to our house and he said the awful feeling lifted, little by little, the closer we got to our house. We thought maybe we could attempt the drive again the following morning but while we both were up and getting ready to leave, we both felt awful. 

I have no idea why this happened. I really wanted to see my mom. I'm thankful I didn't ignore it though so that I could learn why. Who knows if it would've been made known to us as we rolled our car on the freeway, or something equally as terrible. I always feel a little spooked when I try to wonder why he felt so eery.

I know this has happened to me only a handful of times in my life and one of those times I later learned of a road getting washed out by a landslide. I would've been driving in that very spot when the road was taken out had I not stayed home when I felt terrible about going. The other times I still have no idea what would have happened, but I'm thankful I don't. 

I guess we'll try again next weekend.

What about you? Has this ever happened to you? Did you listen or did you ignore it? What was the outcome?

1 comment

  1. That picture is really terrible. That Is why I love it so much. Hopefully this weekend we make the drive to Parowan, do some service, and take more terrible photos.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.