A little late, but worth the wait?

Monday, November 29, 2010

So... tonight I've been feeling rather mellow, despite the never ending nerves that are kicking me in the pants since I'm heading to Europe this Saturday. (HOLY CRAP I'M EXCITED/NERVOUS/ANXIOUS!!!!)

I decided that since I only said one thing (my eurotrip) when my grandpa asked us to all tell what we're thankful for over Thanksgiving Dinner last Thursday, I need to declare to everyone what I'm grateful for right now. Despite the fact that my trip is going to be the best part of 2010, it is not the only awesome thing in my life.

1. My family. This year I've done a lot of thinking/soul searching and I realize one thing. My family, despite its imperfections, is one of the best I could ask for. In my family I have been blessed with some of the best people I know and I love them more than anything.

2. My girlfriends. They are the most beautiful and amazing women on the face of this earth. They have all faced some really tough adversity and come out on top. I don't think I could ever be where I am without their friendship and their positive example of what it means to be a woman in today's world. You can't top my friends, don't even try.... :) Which leads me to #3.

3. I have amazing male friends as well. They are really great men who aren't afraid to be... men. I am grateful to have these types of men in my life so I am able to not forget that wonderful, respectful, gentlemen do in fact exist. (Come on, I know that sentence tastes of bitterness, but you know my dating history!)

4. My job. I was having a really hard time getting hired despite the fact that I rarely had a problem getting jobs in the past. The job market was too saturated with prospects. One interview I went to had over 50 interviews, and 200 resumes for the position. Bleh... But I got hired here and it's been an amazing opportunity since day 1. I am constantly learning. I love that!

5. MUSIC. Music affects me in so many ways. It is extremely powerful. It can make me feel amazing and fearless, or bring me to tears. Also the ability I have to read sheet music, and play the piano is a blessing to my life. When I'm feeling anxious, stressed out or angry, I can go play the piano, and it will take my focus off what is bothering me in about 3 minutes. Most of my dates can attest to the fact (although they didn't know this is why) that I'm always playing the piano when a date arrives. It calms my nerves.

6. These are going to be random, but bear with me - leggings (or the nopants pants) because they make me feel so COMFORTABLE like I'm not wearing any pants!, pickles for always helping me find a delicious snack, strawberry lemonade powerade for always helping me feel better when I'm sick, and photographs because they provide a window into the past. I never get sick of looking at old photos of family, friends, myself...

7. The healing power of God and time. If any of you have ever been knocked to your knees by something in your life so suddenly that you didn't have time to prepare for the hardship, you only had to deal with it, you'll know what I mean. There is something amazing about the healing power that God (and time) can bring. At the beginning, or even in the middle of the hardship you feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel. There are just more and more bricks being piled on to your stack even though you've already collapsed and the stack is now burying and suffocating you. But something amazing happens if you keep doing what you need to do, and let God take over the rest. You wake up one day and realize... life is taking the bricks back from your stack or giving you a forklift to move them. I love that this happens, and how weightless you feel when it does.

8. People with patience. I believe patience is a telltale sign of someone that has a large capacity to love and trust. These types of people have a contagious positive energy. I love being around them, and I feel by being around them they will wear off on me.

9. My capacity to get things done. I have never failed at something I've truly wanted to do. I may not have been a champion, but I have NOT failed. I have only failed when I gave up, or never tried. I took up running (an activity I never used to desire and actually wouldn't accept money to do) and now I like it. GO FIGURE.

10. Last on my short list tonight is my heater. It is extremely cold outside, yet I'm in here, barefoot without a fireplace, and although my feet are cold, I will not have to cut them off tomorrow because of frostbite. I wish I could find a home for all the homeless people in the cold tonight.

Well that is a short list even though I'm thankful for so much more than this. The holidays tend to remind me just how great I have it. I love this time of year. My thoughts always turn to what is really important in life. The older I get the more I find it hard to be in stores at this time of year. What I really value isn't something I can put a price on. I get really annoyed with how materialistic Christmas has become. Sure it's fun to get new things for Christmas but for the next 30 days, all we're going to hear about is SHOP! SHOP! SHOP!

I just want to surround myself with the people that mean the most to me, drink some hot cocoa and listen to Christmas music. Yep, I'm a sentimental, but I'm not ashamed!

Anyway... here's a favorite Christmas song of mine. I kind of really love how cheesy the beginning is. Old movies are awesome that way. I hope you enjoy it!



Oh and... 4 more days til EUROTRIP! AAAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! Can't wait!

1 comment

  1. Wowza! Lana B! That was a really fun post to read about gratitude! I am thankful for the people in my life that can express themselves well! This post made me remember a few more things I am grateful for this year that I may not have been as thrilled about last year. I really love meeting people with patience. Not an easy attribute to acquire, seams most of these people have to go through some real sticky situations to cultivate real patience. Anyways.......I ramble. good read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.