Knowledge

Saturday, November 1, 2008

So today I went to my Intro to Counseling class and we were learning about Feminist Therapy. I thought this particular topic wasn't going to interest me at all. I am all about women's rights but not the burning your bra, feminazi, don't vote because you'll put a man in power, don't get married because it's oppressive and gives men more power over you type of women's movement. I actually loved this class because... hold your breath... don't freak out... I found out I'm a feminist. Ok before you start making assumptions about me from that last sentence let me explain what a feminist is. A feminist is someone who believes men and women should have equal opportunities, and be able to equally be free in choosing what to do with their lives. It also promotes self-esteem and empowers women to their full potential. There are different types of feminists, and I am not the radical kind which is what I mentioned above. I am the kind that supports women and believes that we should all have an education, and be able to decide what life callings make us the happiest! Like if you're happy and fulfilled being a mom, be a mom, and if you're happy being a career woman, be a career woman. It's all about what makes you feel fulfilled and happy.

It's funny though, today I was commenting a lot in class and this guy was sitting behind me. I think he's southern, he has quite the accent, and always says "yes ma'am" to the teacher. Anyway apparently he got up and left because he was bugged because he thinks feminism is a joke (even though really the REAL theme of it isn't radical sexist lesbian bra burners, it's about equality) and he did not like that I was so into it and speaking freely about how great I thought it was. It was interesting how he was so annoyed it was enough to leave the class. I think I would've preferred he made comments about what he felt. I like discussions like that in classes. Anyway, just wanted to share what I learned and I hope you enjoyed it!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© The truth about blondes.... Design by FCD.